July 22, 2008

Let’s blame it on ...

The second law of thermodynamics, when I was reading about that in the internet I came across a phase, “Life is hard. But it's harder if you don't know how the material world works!" We living things are physical system, which constantly uses energy in different forms and add chaos or disorder in the system. From living things just used sun as the ultimate source of energy, to the present days where the accessory energies like the fossil fuel and nuclear energy is becoming indispensable. Now the big debate is these accessory energies really indispensable? This big question put the world’s biggest democracy into test today. After living in two counties, one where these energies are used extensively and the other sparingly, I think I can say that the people’s life is been accelerated with the use of these energies. Life is no more as slow as this elephants carrying electronic voting device. Well! I do enjoy the speed TGV. But today after seeing people around me running around so fast and making me run behind them in the speed of TGV just to get a simple help like making a phone call in French, I would definitely vote for a calm and quite elephant raid in a green forest than to jump between two 500 miles apart castles in TGV. Well! My vote was not counted and thus I failed today! Today all the people I wanted to be with me were too far to access. Let’s blame it on “second law of thermodynamics”!

2 comments:

Aniruddha G. Kulkarni said...

Homer Simpson [2F19] The PTA Disbands

“And this perpetual motion machine she (Lsa) made today is a joke! It just keeps going faster and faster….I'm with you, Marge. Lisa! Get in here. In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!”

anton said...

Actually, in France there is a very well articulated movement that talks about the issue of "energy use" and "acceleration of life". It's called the movement for "Degrowth" (La Décroissance), and they deffend volontary simplicity and dropping out from the mentality of growth and consumption. There are interviews available in youtube with brilliant people such as Serge Latouche, Paul Ariès or Vincent Cheynet, just type in "décroissance" or "simplicité volontaire". It's a source of great intelectual pleasure to listen to these guys. Also Richard Heinberg or Derrick Jensen give very interesting thoughts concerning energy use of modern consumerist societies.