June 25, 2006

The carp learns to grow!

Since Assaf stopped in Paris on his way to Israel from New York for his wedding, we are having lots of outings and picnics, as I wrote in my earlier blog; he always has a special way to get people closer and builds bridges between people. Today we had lab’s day (evening out) next to the river seeing beautiful sunset with some food, drinks and with some serious food for thought. As I was explaining him how my days went after he left Paris, I realized that I have stopped dreaming, and trying to protect myself from disappointments and that made me think a lot about dreams, and it’s a mere coincidence that I read this following story by Paulo Coelho, just few minutes back as my bed time story and above are the photos, that I clicked today evening. Now…here comes the inspiring story…” The carp learns to grow!

The Japanese carp or koi has the natural ability to grow according to the size of its environment. Thus, in a small tank, it usually grows to no more than five to seven centimeters, but if placed in a lake; it can grow to three times that size.

In the same way, people tend to grow according to their environment, although we are not talking here about physical characteristics, but about emotional, spiritual and intellectual development.

While the carp is obliged, for its own well-being, to accept the limits of its world, we are free to set the boundaries of out own dreams. If we are a bigger fish than the tank in which we were bred, instead of adapting to it, we should go in search of the ocean, even if the initial adaptation period proves uncomfortable and painful

No comments: