April 03, 2010

somethings change and others come back...

I saw few daffodils flowering in my garden and that made me to Google the Daffodils poem by William Wordsworth. I still remember reading this poem with my father as my homework during my school days and it was very difficult to understand the whole poem. It is very different from the Tamil literature and the society, which mostly talks about the powerful kings of the past or about leading a moral life. I don't remember a Tamil poem which describe the nature and how that can affect someone's life (Tamil readers please correct me if I am wrong). Also, my father had a tough time explaining the word "bliss of solitude". I used to wonder how can people be in bliss when they are alone (a condition which i never experienced in India). This word started making more sense now a days. few things that didn't make sense as child in India, started revealing its meaning now. But somethings that suffocated me as a child growing up in India like too much of unwanted attention in the name of love and kindness are still following me... Specially when I get into the conditions when I don't know how to show my love and attention to someone, that is when the things i saw learned and hated as kid started coming back to me as second nature... Last few days I lived a life that I hated the most as a kid. Now that I learned the meaning of "bliss of solitude", I think it is time to experience the bliss of solitude and let others experience that too..

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

somethings change... enjoying the serenity and peace of being alone... and that might change too..

Uma Maheswari said...

may be...but sometimes it is difficult to find the balance between 'interacting with others' without intruding in my/others serenity and peace.